Re: [HTCondor-users] Block job submission from a given group

> On Apr 21, 2015, at 9:37 AM, Andrea Sartirana <sartiran@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> Thanks!
> just one question, 8.3.* releases are declared as "Development Release". Which is the level of stability that we can expect from these releases? A.k.a can I deploy the 8.3.5 in prod?

Depends - are you Catholic or Protestant?  ;)

I usually say that the release series are misnamed.  They are really the "feature release" and the "bugfix release".

CMS, for example, usually needs the latest-greatest-features and thus runs the developer series exclusively in production.  However, we also have a testbed set up that allows us to do acceptance testing before cutting over to a new release.  Thus, the risk is relatively low for running any particular version.

Both series get approximately the same automated testing prior to release - developer series is additionally run in production at UW for a few weeks prior to release.  It's expected that the developer series will have a higher rate of bugs, but I personally believe both have a low enough rate to be usable.

In the end, it's usually up to each sysadmin on his/her level of comfort, desire to run new features, and number of times they ran into troubles in the past.

Brian