Re: [HTCondor-users] Caching large executable on worker nodes

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:00:32PM +0200, Jens Schmaler wrote:
> Thanks Michael! I stumbled over these talks as well after Don mentioned
> the use of SQUID. It looks as if Condor has decided to go for the SQUID
> solution from 8.4.0 on, right?

I'm sorry to say the the squid solution did not get merged before the 8.4.0
code freeze and thus won't appear in the 8.4.X series.  It's on my plate to
get this merged for 8.5.X, sooner rather than later.

(If anyone is interested in getting a release with this merged and beta-
testing it, please email me off-list!)

> But what is then the future of the other concepts? Are they just feasibility
> studies? Or were they competitor ideas that ultimately did not make it?

They are not all solving the problem in the same way, and so they have
some concepts in common but each have individual things about them that
differentiate them.

I'm not 100% sure at this point, but at some point I will figure out what
the best contributions are from each and make them part of HTCondor proper.

Cheers,
-zach