Re: [HTCondor-users] Debian packages for Condor 8.3.7

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 01:43:51PM -0500, Jaime Frey wrote:
> On Aug 25, 2015, at 7:16 AM, Steffen Grunewald <Steffen.Grunewald@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Also I'm curious why the Jessie package is about one third smaller
> > than the Wheezy one - the contents look not too different. Someone
> > willing to explain?
>
> Different compression algorithm. If you pry apart the .deb files, youâll see that the data archive is compressed with gzip for one and xz for the other.

Thank you for the explanation - that's quite inpressive! (nevertheless
unexpected - I've only seen 10--20% improvement before, not 35)

I've been using mc's vfs features to inspect the deb files, so the
different compression went unnoticed - sometimes I'm too lazy to do
everything by hand if there's a tool at hand.

- S

--
Steffen Grunewald * Cluster Admin * steffen.grunewald(*)aei.mpg.de
MPI f. Gravitationsphysik (AEI) * Am MÃhlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam