Re: [HTCondor-users] why does htcondor change sysctl params, and why is this done outside of /etc/sysctl.{d, conf} ?

You're absolutely right. Not sure how I missed that.

	OK, good.  You had me really worried there for a bit. :)

This is only true of kernel parameters that I tell Puppet about so I need to know which you're modifying and why.

For you, and for others' future reference: the default kernel tuning script is written in bash and has moderately extensive commentary that you can read for each of the values that it will change.

The real upshot is that I go out of my way to manage kernel parameters -- pretty much any sysadmin needs to modify vm.swappiness out of the box -- and want to avoid clobbering.

Absolutely. As written, the defaults will still (try to) clobber your changes if they make any of the relevant parameters smaller than what HTCondor wants, because we think making the parameters too big is generally less bad them than being too small, but if a sysadmin is already managing their kernel parameters, they should absolutely disable the tuning script and then take a look at it to inform themselves about why we want things set the way we do.

Would it be / have been useful to make the documentation somehow more prominent?

- ToddM