Re: [HTCondor-users] about pid_max

On 11/30/2016 07:45 PM, jiangxw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Dear Greg,
  Thanks for reply.
  I have another quetion about pid_max.
  Is the number of our running jobs proportional to pid_max?
  If I want to running 20000 jobs, is it enough that the pid_max set to 65535?
  And the schedd will probably running amount of shadows, it needs higher pid_max,
  is startd needs higher pid_max?

Good morning:

This is all correct. The schedd needs one shadow process per running job in the queue, so if you have 20,000 jobs, the default is probably good enough.

On the startd side, you need roughly one pid per slot, so the default is certainly good enough there.

-greg