Re: [HTCondor-users] Requirement about network interface speed

Sure! I gather there's some development work underway on network bandwidth as a resource, but in the meantime, here's what I've done.

I have a startd_cron job that runs a "condor_netspeed" script. I have it running hourly rather than as a benchmark job because in some cases we use bonded interfaces, which means that if one link goes down, the network may still be running but at a lower speed.

It defines a NetworkMbps attribute, included in the STARTD_ATTRS list, plus a couple of others like HasSlowNetwork which is True if it's 2Gb/s or less, and HasTenGigabitNetwork if it's more than 10Gb/s so submitters can use those simple Booleans if desired.

The script is quite simple - it runs "ip route show" to find the interface name of the default route -- since Dell machines by default use BIOS devnames under RHEL6 and the primary interface may be em1 (embedded port 1) or what have you, rather than the customary "eth0" -- and then looks at both /sys/class/net/$iface/slave_*/speed (used by bonded interfaces) and /sys/class/net/$iface/speed (non-bonded interfaces), and sums the megabits per second to arrive at the NetworkMbps number.

So then the submitter can say "requirements = TARGET.HasTenGigabitNetwork" and their jobs won't run on anything less.

Michael V. Pelletier
IT Program Execution
Principal Engineer
978.858.9681 (5-9681)