Re: [HTCondor-users] prioritizing one group of machines over another

From: Thomas Hartmann <thomas.hartmann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 01/20/2016 05:35 AM

> hi,
> i have two groups of machines in my setup. the machines of one group are
> faster, more reliable. is it possible to tell the scheduler to only
> submit jobs to the other group if the first group of machines cannot
> take any more jobs?

What you're looking for is the RANK _expression_:

http://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/manual/latest/3_5Policy_Configuration.html#SECTION00451400000000000000

The manual gives the example of memory size of the jobs as a determining
factor, but in your case you'd want to use, for example, the machine's
KFlops attribute, so that the faster machines get top priority for jobs.

Similarly, I have a startd_cron which probes the network interface speed
and incorporates that into the rank _expression_, so that machines with
bonded or 10G interfaces get preference over single-interface gigabit.

If you're using partitionable slots this can go a bit sideways depending
on how you're configured - by default the negotiator will make a trip
through all of the partitionable slots, which means that it will include
the low-ranked machines' partitionable slots in its matching and you'll
wind up with one job on each machine in both groups. If I'm remembering
correctly, using consumption policies instead of claim partitionable
leftovers addresses this.

        -Michael Pelletier.