From: HTCondor-users [htcondor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Todd Tannenbaum [tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 12:46 PM
To: HTCondor-Users Mail List
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-users] peaceful node drain and shutdown

On 7/13/2016 2:29 PM, Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> Ah. I had seen the docs for START but didn't realize it would affect new
> job startup too. It seemed to imply that its for eviction.
>
> But, the following seems to work to drain the node gracefully, as you
> suggested:
> echo START=FALSE > /etc/condor/config.d/00shutdown
> kill -HUP <PID OF MASTER>
>
> and to reverse it
> rm -f /etc/condor/config.d/00shutdown
> kill -HUP <PID OF MASTER>
>
> Thanks for the help. :)

Hi Kevin,

If the above satisfies your needs, great.  But just wanted to point out
you can do the same thing (drain a node gracefully) with the
condor_drain tool.  Do "man condor_drain", or see
  http://htcondor.org/manual/v8.4/condor_drain.html

Also in the upcoming HTCondor v8.5.6, the condor_drain functionality is
exposed via HTCondor's Python API. :)

regards,
Todd