Re: [HTCondor-users] HTCondor : Long pending Idle jobs

On 10/27/2016 2:48 AM, Ashish Thool wrote:
Hi All,

I had already running recurring jobs on HTCondor. Then I’ve added some
more recurring jobs (approx. 250 new) on Oct 21, 2016. But most of the
newly added jobs are still in Idle state. I’ve restarted condor several
times but no luck.

Please see below output of condor_q andcondor_q -analyze <job id> .

I’m unable to fix this issue. None of the newly added jobs executed even
once.

You have not provided enough information for anyone have any real insight into what is going wrong.

- Not sure what you mean by a "recurring" job. Could you include your submit file?

- No idea what you think _should_ be happening. You have two machines (probably with two cores each?), and four jobs are running. What do you expect? What do you want to happen?

- If by "recurring" job you mean a job that is supposed to run once an hour, you could still easily have many jobs permanently in idle state if the jobs run for any significant period of time. For instance if you have 4 slots, and you submit hundreds of jobs that run for 15 minutes and are rescheduled every hour, then only 16 job out of your batch of hundreds will likely ever start (4 slots * 60 min / 15 min job = 16). I.e. it is possible you do not have enough cores to run your workload within the recurring time window.

I could make several other guesses, but cannot really help more without more information about what you are trying to do and how you are attempting to do it (your submit file, an event log from a run, condor version you are using), etc...

regards,
Todd

--
Todd Tannenbaum <tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx> University of Wisconsin-Madison
Center for High Throughput Computing   Department of Computer Sciences