Re: [HTCondor-users] Group and Sub-Group Quotas

On Jul 28, 2017, at 3:23 PM, condor <condor@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello â

I was under the impression that sub group quotas make use of a fraction of a [super] group. Meaning, if I have the following pseudo configuration:

Dynamic quota group A:         0.5
            Quota group A.sys      0.5
            Quota group A.net      0.5
Dynamic quota group B:         0.5
            Quota group B.sys      0.5
            Quota group B.net      0.5

âthen all jobs where acctgroup ~= A (including A, A.sys, and A.net) get 50% of the pool slots. Likewise, each job with the acctgroup set to a subgroup (A.sys, A.net, B.sys, and B.net) each get 25% of the pool slots. It looks like in our case, according to condor_userprio and analyzing running jobs with condor_q, that every super and sub group gets 50% of the poolâs slots. I believe we started seeing this behavior after we introduced pslots into the mix, but that may just be a coincidence.

Is this a known bug? Or am I doing something wrong? I can send a config snippet if needed.

Your impression is correct. A group with a fractional quota gets that fraction of the parent groupâs quota (and not that fraction of the entire pool).
I just ran a quick test on my personal condor pool, and it worked as expected. Each of my subgroups (e.g. A.sys and A.net) was only allowed to claim 25% of the slots in the pool. condor_userprio reported their quotas as 0.5, which is their configured values (fraction of parent group), and not a computed value of their share of the entire pool.

I had GROUP_ACCEPT_SURPLUS or GROUP_AUTOREGROUP disabled. If you have them enabled, that will allow groups to go over their quotas in many situations.

Thanks and regards,
Jaime Frey
UW-Madison HTCondor Project