Re: [HTCondor-users] automatic selection of advertised IP

changing NETWORK_INTERFACE to * makes it return the public IP in condor_status.

	Good.

In the SharedPortLog (attached), I do not see any attempts of rewriting the address. It seems never to *contact* the Collector (which makes sense to me), but only to *receive* connections - via the public interface. Is address rewriting not possible when using the SharedPort daemon?

Address rewriting -- even if it were still turned on, which apparently it isn't -- wouldn't have any effect on the shared port daemon, for the reason you suspect -- the shared port daemon never advertises itself. However, shared port addresses from other daemons would be rewritten when sent to the collector, which should have the same effect (because you never look up the shared port daemon itself, only daemons which use it to communicate).

Having said that, never versions of HTCondor -- as that log entry reminded me -- have turned off address rewriting in favor of sending multiple addresses and letting the daemon (or tool) attempting to contact the daemon decide which to use. (Primarily in support of doing the right thing in a mixed IPv4/IPv6 environment.) In this case, HTCondor will -- as it always has -- pick the most public address as its primary, but not rewrite it if the collector isn't reached via the same interface. Instead, HTCondor relies on you to configure a private address (PRIVATE_NETWORK_INTERFACE) and a private network name (PRIVATE_NETWORK_NAME). We need both since HTCondor has no a-priori way of knowing, for example, that 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3 are on the same network, as opposed to being behind different NATs. When a client sees the server's address, the client will use its private network interface if its private network name and the private network name of the server match.

- ToddM