Re: [HTCondor-users] Event log to kafka-like system

Got answer to mt first question here: [https://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/manual/latest/4_5Logging_in.html]. Will check this out.
Thanks.
-Samik

On 05-Jul-17 12:20 PM, Samik Raychaudhuri wrote:
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the input. Couple of questions/comments:
  • I am stumbling at the very beginning: I am not able to find the "global event log" file, i.e. I do not see /var/log/condor/EventLog. Is there a setting to enable this? I could not find something similar in: [http://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/manual/v8.6/3_5Configuration_Macros.html]. I am using 8.6.4 - the most recent version on a Debian VM.
  • Given the "condor" patterns file, looks like you are using the text version of the log file, rather than the xml version.  I am assuming that those are the two options, right? (the secret question is, there is no JSON option, right? :-))
  • The way you are doing this indicates that, I can roll out my own kafka producer by tailing the files myself (e.g., by using Tailer from Apache Commons IO), if I do not want Elasticsearch (ES) in the loop (although I am pretty familiar with these systems, and completely see the value of ES/Graphana). Will probably try that out.
    • Curious from that perspective and slightly off-topic: since you already have the data in ES, why are you using graphana instead of kibana?

Regards,
-Samik