Re: [HTCondor-users] startd doesn't start

On 03/20/2017 11:18 AM, Todd Tannenbaum wrote:

> ...  In fact, there is no need
> to ever specify CONDOR_IDS at all if your /etc/passwd account has a
> "condor" account, which is what happens on a default installation, as
> then the HTCondor daemons lookup the uid associated with the "condor"
> account.

That's a great theory but IRL if the account does not exist, rpm (and I
assume apt as well) will create it for you and pick the next available
uid/gid. Which tends to be different on different hosts and then your
nodes can't talk to each other. You can put condor:condor on a directory
server, but once you "upgrade" to lennartware you'll have the race
condition where condor may or may not start after the lookup client.

I'm assuming condor will happily use the specified CONDOR_IDS without
checking if they actually exist in password database? -- You still have
to have them to claim the numbers, or the next rpm/useradd run will use
them for some other account, but at least you get a working condor pool
this way.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin