From: HTCondor-users [htcondor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Alessandra Forti [Alessandra.Forti@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:39 AM
To: htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-users] htcondor cgroups and memory limits on CentOS7

Hi Thomas,

On 24/10/2017 09:17, Thomas Hartmann wrote:

Hi Todd, (sorry to fork in between)

I am a bit confused regarding the soft limits.

So far I had assumed that the kernel would allow a cgroup to exceed its
soft limit usage as long as there is free memory available

do you set the limit or your htcondor does? because my htcondor doesn't set that limit. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

- and kill a
group's processes if the system runs low on unwired memory (assuming a
translation between limits in condor to cgroup limits).

So, we have effectively not set a 'real' cgroup hard limit assuming that
the soft limit would be sufficient, e.g., would the kernel kill [1] when
exceeding it's 4GB soft limit and running low on system-wide memory?

no the kernel doesn't kill with the soft limit. This is why system periodic remove is needed.

(looking now onto the values: would memsw -set to such a large value-
actually send the job heavily swapping...?)

infact memsw is the place where RAM+swap is limited. However as pointed out in the thread you may end up with a job which has 0 memory and 4GB of swap.

Cheers,
  Thomas

[1]
/sys/fs/cgroup/memory/system.slice/condor.service/condor_var_lib_condor_execute_slot1_6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/memory.limit_in_bytes