[HTCondor-users] Combining Accounting groups and Priority factors

Hi,

I have a question I've wondered about for quite a while.

Priority factors convert the usage of some user to a priority. A low priority factor will turn high usage into a low "effective priority" (where low is better). Hence users with a low priority factor will run more work. I think that's right. On the other hand, accounting groups assign users to a group, and an allocation can be made for that group, using (e.g. GROUP_QUOTA_DYNAMIC_group_SOMEGRP =Â 0.65)Â I've read somewhere that these can be used together. And looking at my site, I can see they _are_ used together. That's scary. What does it all mean?

The two ideas seem to be in conflict. One controls the allocation via a priority factor, that works on usage over time to promote (or penalise)Â certain users according to their relative recent usage. The other scheme "reserves" slots using GROUP_QUOTA_DYNAMIC... so which scheme (if any) takes precedence? And if none does, how does all this play out?

(BTW: Having asked the question, I can sort of see what the answer might be. I expect the reservation takes priority where there are enough jobs to fill it, else the slots are dished out according to priority factors... or something like that. Is this it? Is this how it all works?)

Thanks for your help...

Cheers,

Ste

--
Steve Jones                             sjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Grid System Administrator               office: 220