Re: [HTCondor-users] jobs to start on busy machines first

Hi Todd,

On 07/08/18 10:37 AM, Todd Tannenbaum wrote:
> On 8/7/2018 10:55 AM, Rolf Seuster wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> we have a small cluster of worker nodes. For testing, I start
>> short jobs (<1min) every minute. From the manual, I would assume
>> that the jobs populate first all slots on one machine, then move to
>> the next machine. That's not what we observe. All machines
>> get more or less the same number of jobs.
>>
>> Question: How do I configure condor to start jobs on the least number of
>> workers ?
>>

> Check out this HOWTO recipe:
>
> Â http://wiki.htcondor.org/index.cgi/wiki?p=HowToFillPoolDepthFirst
>
> Whenever a question gets asked a couple times, I try to make a new
> HOWTO... the collection is sitting at
>
> Â http://wiki.htcondor.org//index.cgi/wiki?p=HowToAdminRecipes
Thanks, I had a look at these wiki pages before. It seems that this recipe
doesn't work in my configuration.

Say, I have 4 workers with 8 cores running. I use partitionable slots.
When submitting 6 jobs each requesting 1 core I would assume all
6 jobs end on a single worker. That's not hat I see. It seems that
the jobs are distributed over at least 2 workers filling them about half.

Thanks, Rolf