[HTCondor-users] passing in args with spaces

I am using htcondor.Submit() and trying to pass in an argument with a
space in it. The argument key in my submit dict has this:

"--arg_with_space 'word1 word2'"

and in the StarterLog I see:

--arg_with_space ''''word1 word2''''

(that is 4 single quotes on each side)

But the program does not get it quoted and blows up with:

error: unrecognized arguments: word2'

(note the trailing single quote at the end of the error message.

I am following what I read here:
http://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/manual/current/condor_submit.html.

I have also tried it without single quotes and with double quotes,
both escapes with backslashes and not escaped, none of which worked.

What is the proper way to pass in an argument with a space in it?