[HTCondor-users] FYI - HTCondor - Win10 Linux Subsystem with Ubuntu 1604

Not sure if anyone has tried this yet.

I have installed the Microsoft Linux Subsystem (with Ubuntu 16.04) on a Windows 10 machine recently.

I was then able to install HTCondor without too much trouble, using apt and the standard Ubuntu repositories.

This might be useful for those sites (Universities?) that have mainly windows PC but want to run linux apps.

I remember reading that some places would reboot PC lab machines into linux overnight to run jobs.

It may to some extent depend on whether the linux apps would run OK.

I have run some of our linux jobs successfully.

It could make things interesting when both the windows OS and the linux subsystem ar running HTCondor? J

Cheers

Greg

Dr. Greg Hitchen
Scientific Computing | Systems
Information Management and Technology
CSIRO

Phone: +61 8 6436 8663 | Fax: +61 8 6436 8555 | Mobile: 0407 952 748
greg.hitchen@xxxxxxxx | www.csiro.au

Postal Address: PO Box 1130, Bentley Delivery Centre, WA 6983

Street Address: 26 Dick Perry Avenue, Kensington WA 6151

PLEASE NOTE
The information contained in this email may be confidential or privileged. Any unauthorised use or disclosure is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please delete it immediately and notify the sender by return email. Thank you. To the extent permitted by law, CSIRO does not represent, warrant and/or guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained or that the communication is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.