Re: [HTCondor-users] how to ignore some cores

Another approach:

RESERVED_CORES = 2

SLOT_TYPE_1 = cpus=1,ram=2010
NUM_SLOTS_TYPE_1 = ($(DETECTED_CORES)-$(RESERVED_CORES))

This is my most simple example.
RESERVED_CORES is NOT an existing knob (Maybe it should be ( ).  I added it to match RESERVED_MEMORY which I also use in another instance.  It allows me to pull out some cores on machines that have non HTCondor jobs running as well.

But this does the same as below and allows me to equalize the per core memory allocation across mixed sized machines.

I use this approach because on some machines I also define a specific number of cores with a larger amount of memory so that I can control the number of those specific job types that require more memory on each node.    Here is a more complex example.

RESERVED_CORES = 2
RESERVED_MEMORY = 4096

SLOT_TYPE_1 = cpus=1,ram=8192
NUM_SLOTS_TYPE_1 = 6

SLOT_TYPE_2 = cpus=1,ram=12288
NUM_SLOTS_TYPE_2 = 2

SLOT_TYPE_3 = cpus=1,ram=auto
NUM_SLOTS_TYPE_3 = ($(DETECTED_CORES)-$(NUM_SLOTS_TYPE_1)-$(NUM_SLOTS_TYPE_2)-$(RESERVED_CORES))

     With this setup I have a lot of control of memory, slots, and memory per slot.

          Mary

Mary Romelfanger
Deputy Branch Manager OED/DSB
Space Telescope Science Institute