Re: [HTCondor-users] ssh/scp returning exit code 255 in Bash jobs

On 10/16/2018 9:51 AM, Koschmieder, Lukas wrote:
> Hi,
>

> When I try to run ssh/scp in a Condor Bash job, the command always fails
> with exit code 255. Are you familiar with this behavior? How do I enable
> ssh/scp in my Condor jobs?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Lukas

Couple quick thoughts:

- Do really want your job to deal with scripting to use scp and passing
around credentials? I think usually it is better/easier/safer to use
HTCondor's file transfer mechanism (which is scheduled) to move files
from your submit machine to the execute machine ... see
http://tinyurl.com/ya69km5j

- If you need to use scp etc, the most common reason I've encountered
for an exit status of 255 in scripts that run outside of my home
environment is because I am contacting a host not in my
$HOME/.ssh/known_hosts file (almost certainly not the case if you are
using HTCondor without a shared file system or across administrative
domains).  To remedy, consider passing command-line switches to scp/ssh
like so:
   scp -o UserKnownHostsFile=./my_temporary_known_host ssh_host ...

Hope the above helps
Todd