Re: [HTCondor-users] Batch admin & running job classAd modifications

On 8/30/2018 5:47 PM, Greg Thain wrote:
> On 08/29/2018 11:17 AM, Petr Vokac wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there a simple way for batch administrator to modify classAd
>> attributes of running job? condor_qedit works only for jobs that are not
>> in running state, condor_chirp is able to do modifications from running
>> job so there must be an interface for running job classAd modification -
>> I would like to know if there is a way for administrator to modify
>> _running_ job classAd in a way that is similar to condor_qedit.
>
> I suspect there are a couple of questions here. condor_qedit can
> certainly edit the schedd's copy of a running job, but those changes
> don't get propagated to the execute side, so the changes may not have
> the impact you require. For example, changing the requirements
> expression doesn't do anything for a running job, but may impact where
> that job can be matched to if it gets evicted and rematched.

Thanks for explanation, I did not fully understood documentation [1]
that states "If a job is currently running, modified attributes for that
job will not affect the job until it restarts" - so updates are not
propagated/used condor daemon running on worker node, but they are still
used/evaluated on condor schedd machine.

Currently we would like to be able to modify MaxRuntime that is used by
our condor schedd SYSTEM_PERIODIC_REMOVE to evict jobs that runs too
long. I just tested that MaxRuntime modification works.

We also use job classAd attributes in worker node PREEMPT expression, so
in this case condor_qedit has no effect. I know that for job classAd
modifications on execution side it is possible to use condor_ssh_to_job
+ condor_chirp. Are there other ways to modify job classAd on execution
side?

Petr

[1] http://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/manual/current/condor_qedit.html