Re: [HTCondor-users] Only one notification mail per cluster

Thanks Todd.
Of course! I'm in. Contact me when you need

Regards,
Ale

Ing. Alejandro Acuña
IFLP - Conicet
113 63 y 64, La Plata, Bs As, Argentina
+54-0221-644-3202
www.iflp.unlp.edu.ar

El 12/12/19 a las 18:15, Todd Tannenbaum escribió:
On 12/9/2019 1:17 PM, Alejandro Acuña wrote:
Hi friends.

Actually, if I set variables like NOTIFY and NOTIFICATION in submit
file, the number of mails is equal to the number of jobs created. This
isn't comfortable....

I need to notify with only ONE automated email to submitter when his
cluster (group of jobs) ends. Is it possible?

Hi Alejandro,

Yes.  Two answers: what we can do today, and a cleaner solution we are currently working on ....

Today this is only possible by using DAGMan.  It is a bit clunky, but you could define a "workflow" that just consists of your one job cluster, and then have DAGMan send you email when the workflow is done.
For instance, say you have a submit file "myjobcluster.sub" like so:

   executable = foo.exe
   queue 100

Next create a file "myworkflow.dag" with one line like so:

   JOB A myjobcluster.sub

Then submit the workflow like so, and you will get one email at the end of the workflow (instead of per job):

   condor_submit_dag -f -notification always -append "notify_user=my.email@xxxxxxxxxx" myworkflow.dag
In addition, we are actively working on a cleaner solution. We are adding a new "job sets" feature in HTCondor which allows users to group jobs into sets of jobs, and then have operations and aggregate statistics on the set... including the ability to send email when the job set completes. Think of "job sets" similar to "job clusters", but one difference being a job cluster is defined by all the jobs submitted simultaneously, while a job set is defined by simply setting a job set name attribute. All jobs with the same name will be in the same set, regardless of when they were submitted. We anticipate this mechanism to appear in HTCondor v8.9.6 expected to be released in February. Please let me know if you are interested in testing this!

regards,
Todd