Re: [HTCondor-users] HTCondor 8.8.7 Released

Dear Tim,

Am 27.12.19 um 16:55 schrieb Tim Theisen:
> Thank you for noticing. We slightly changed the structure of the
> documents online.

indeed, I can confirm all links in our documentation and my browser history broke (as expected).
No problem this time, but please keep in mind external links will break when reorganizing (so an announcement to the users list is always welcome ;-) ).

> The correct link is:
>
> https://htcondor.readthedocs.io/en/stable/version-history/stable-release-series-88.html#version-8-8-7
>
> I'll make sure this doesn't happen in the future.

I'm not sure I understand the new layout correctly. One major point of readthedocs, to my understanding, was that you could have persistent and stable links to the documentation.
Leaving the one-time breakage aside: How would I set a link to the "Submit" documentation:
 https://htcondor.readthedocs.io/en/stable/users-manual/submitting-a-job.html
which is valid for 8.8 and stays valid (and pointing to the 8.8 page) even if 8.10 is released one day?
I guess the "stable" alias will start pointing to 8.10 once it is out, and many existing links will break again (e.g. to pages which have been renamed, changed content etc.).

Persistent links are of high importance for local documentation, when a cluster is not in perfect sync with upstream releases,
and also for SEO, since many other pages will link to the new readthedocs documentation and breaking those links will ensure Google not liking you anymore.
For these cases, persistent links are really useful.

Is there a way to produce such a link after the reorganization, for example using some "8.8-series" alias?

Cheers and have a nice weekend,
	Oliver

--
Oliver Freyermuth