Re: [HTCondor-users] Permission Denied caching

Am 06.03.19 um 20:30 schrieb Todd Tannenbaum:
> On 3/6/2019 5:56 AM, Oliver Freyermuth wrote:
>> Dear HTCondor experts,
>>
>> after a short (~5 minute) DNS and partial network outage today, we've
>> observed several cases of:
>>
>> PERMISSION DENIED to condor_pool@xxxxxxxxxx from host XXX.YYY.ZZZ.XXX
>> for command 2 (UPDATE_MASTER_AD), access level ADVERTISE_MASTER: reason:
>> cached result for ADVERTISE_MASTER; see first case for the full reason
>>
>> on the Central Manager (i.e. the collector), which persisted over hours.
>> It seems the cache entries never expire?
>>
> [snip]
>> I can not make out an automatic expiration of such DENY entries from
>> temporary DNS failures.
>>
>> Is the only way to recover from something like this a restart of the
>> collector, or am I missing something?
>>

> Hi Oliver,
>
> The cached ALLOW/DENY entries should purged periodically (approx every 8 hours by default), or whenever an admin does a condor_reconfig.
>
> The condor_config knob DNS_CACHE_REFRESH can be used to change from the eight hour default; the value is in seconds.
>
> Since you are looking at the code, note function IPVerify:refreshDNS() which is invoked upon reconfig, and also note a timer is setup to call this method periodically based on the DNS_CACHE_REFRESH knob at
>
>   https://github.com/htcondor/htcondor/blob/master/src/condor_daemon_core.V6/daemon_core.cpp#L2971-L2987

Hi Todd,

that's cool, many thanks for the pointer to the place in the code! Nice technique to just re-set the init flag and queue recreation of the PermHashTable upon reconfig and with a timer.

For our case, where DNS is usually extremely stable (the failure was an announced maintenance), I'll probably just run condor_reconfig manually in such cases in the future.

Good to see there's a knob in case we decide to reduce the interval :-).

Best regards and many thanks for the insightful reply!
	Oliver