Re: [HTCondor-users] Setting preemption based on submit boxes

1) Let's say if team A has the job running on cluster, as soon as the job
is submitted by team MC, it should preempt the team A job.
2) If team MC job is running for more than 2 hours and other team jobs are
waiting then team MC job should get preempted.

Suppose that exact sequence of events happens: team A has a running job, a team MC job preempts it, and the team MC job runs for two hours. Then a team A job preempts the team MC job, but is immediately preempted by a the team MC job, because team A has a runinng job and team MC had an idle job. I think you need to say something like "only team MC jobs which haven't already run for two hours preempt" to get a workable policy.

Regarding the implementation of the policy, it may well be easier to the configure the favored schedds to explicitly mark their jobs than to extract the identity of the schedd from the job ad.

I read about 4 reasons of preemption, it seems like that PREEMPT (owner
machine policy) will be more appropriate to achieve the task.

You may want to use RANK-based preemption -- if I recall correctly, the startd otherwise doesn't ever get to compare the running job to the candidate job.

- ToddM