[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [HTCondor-users] Tier 3 hardware requirements
- Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 21:28:55 +0000
- From: Brian Lin <blin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [HTCondor-users] Tier 3 hardware requirements
What experiment will you be serving as a T3? The most accurate hardware
recommendations will come from the experiments themselves as they know
the requirements for their workflows. For example, CMS has Tier-3
suggestions publicly available:
Additionally, are you interested in serving multiple experiments and/or
That being said, we can provide some pointers for running a generic
For a minimal HTCondor pool, you probably need at least the following
kinds of services:
* A central manager
* Some submit points
* Many execute nodes
* Perhaps some other helpful services
Especially for a smaller site, it may be possible to combine things like
the central manager and one submit point on a single node. Likewise,
other services can often be combined if lightly used.
Rather than any specific hardware suggestions, below are some ratios to
think about when planning hardware for a site:
The minimum requirements here are fairly small. For a cluster of about
10,000 job slots, maybe 1 GB RAM is sufficient.
* Reserve 2 MB RAM for every job slot in the pool. For example, if your
pool has 1000 slots, consider at least 2 GB RAM.
* An additional 3-4 GB RAM per average active user on the submit host.
That is to say, if you have 10 logged-in users on average, you might
want 40 GB RAM. Users often do interactive tasks that may use surprising
amounts of memory.
* 50 GB working storage space (in home or scratch, e.g.) per user on the
submit node. An SSD is preferable here.
* At least 2 GB per compute core is a good starting point (and is a
minimum for ATLAS workloads).
* At least 10 GB of disk per job slot.
Other services to consider:
* Squid - a caching proxy for file transfers
* XCache - another file caching system
* perfSONAR - used to measure, record, and report networking performance
On 10/3/19 8:52 AM, Alejandro AcuÃa wrote:
> Dear Users
> I need Tier 3 hardware minimal requirements nowadays. Does anyone know
> where I can find them?
> HTCondor-users mailing list
> To unsubscribe, send a message to htcondor-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxx
> with a
> subject: Unsubscribe
> You can also unsubscribe by visiting
> The archives can be found at: