From: Todd Tannenbaum <tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2020 9:47 AM
To: HTCondor-Users Mail List <htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>; Wesley Taylor
<wesley.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [External] - Re: [HTCondor-users] condor_q -better-analyze: "Could
not fetch startd ads"

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click
links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content
is safe.

On 7/31/2020 6:20 PM, Wesley Taylor wrote:
> Hey all, its me again.
>
> Finally got HTCondor ready for preliminary smoke testing on the production
> network, and have been debugging issues as we go. There has been one really
> weird error I haven't been able to figure out on my own. When I run
> "condor_q" it runs fine. However, if I run "condor_q -analyze" or
> "condor_q -better-analyze" I get back "Error: Could not fetch startd ads".

On the same machine where "condor_q" works but "condor_q -analyze" fails, does
"condor_status" work for you?

If "condor_status" also does not work, then my guess is the security
permissions on your pool's central manager are setup in a manner that is now
allowing read access to the condor_collector from the machine where
condor_status/condor_q -analyze fails.  From this same machine try running
this command to confirm/deny if read access is being blocked:

     condor_ping -pool condor.cs.wisc.edu -type collector READ

If you can connect but READ is being denied, look at the ALLOW_READ setting in
the condor_config file(s) on your central manager.

Hope the above helps
Todd