Re: [HTCondor-users] HTCondor - stop queue

Hi Daniel,

There are a few ways to disable users from being able to queue jobs, Todd's method should work fine. Another one that comes to mind is adding submit requirements to the config:

SUBMIT_REQUIREMENT_NAMES = DisableJobQueue
SUBMIT_REQUIREMENT_DisableJobQueue = FALSE
SUBMIT_REQUIREMENT_DisableJobQueue_REASON = "The HTCondor job queue is currently disabled"

To explain a bit, "SUBMIT_REQUIREMENT_DisableJobQueue = FALSE" means that as long as DisableJobQueue is in the list of SUBMIT_REQUIREMENT_NAMES, the submit requirements will resolve to "FALSE" which means do not queue jobs. (In other words, submit requirements must all be "TRUE" for job submission to happen.) You can also make the logic more sophisticated than setting submit requirements to "FALSE." For example, you could write some logic such that only superusers can submit jobs.

With the above change to the config, when a user submits a job...

[condoruser@7a098e40e039 ~]$ condor_submit -i
Submitting job(s).
ERROR: Failed to commit job submission into the queue.
ERROR: The HTCondor job queue is currently disabled

To reverse this behavior, either comment out SUBMIT_REQUIREMENT_NAMES or remove DisableJobQueue from the list of SUBMIT_REQUIREMENT_NAMES.

Jason

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 1:36 PM Todd Tannenbaum <tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 1/14/2020 10:46 AM, Daniel Rodrigues de Silos Moraes wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> The CBPF's grid migrate from PBS/Torque to HTCondor recently. In PBS,
> when I needed to stop the queue, I used the qdisable command. Are there
> any similar command on htcondor? How can I stop queuing on HTCondor, ie
> avoid receiving jobs?

Hi Daniel,

One solution: I think you could set the config knob
MAX_JOBS_SUBMITTED=0, and then do a condor_reconfig to your submit
machine(s)  (or kill -HUP <pid of condor_schedd>).

Some similar config settings of interest appear below (cut-n-pasted from
the manual at
https://htcondor.readthedocs.io/en/v8_9_5/admin-manual/configuration-macros.html#condor-schedd-configuration-file-entries)

Hope this helps,
Todd

MAX_JOBS_SUBMITTED
     This integer value limits the number of jobs permitted in a
condor_schedd daemonâs queue. Submission of a new cluster of jobs fails,
if the total number of jobs would exceed this limit. The default value
for this variable is the largest positive integer value.

MAX_JOBS_PER_OWNER
     This integer value limits the number of jobs any given owner (user)
is permitted to have within a condor_schedd daemonâs queue. A job
submission fails if it would cause this limit on the number of jobs to
be exceeded. The default value is 100000.
     This configuration variable may be most useful in conjunction with
MAX_JOBS_SUBMITTED, to ensure that no one user can dominate the queue.

MAX_RUNNING_SCHEDULER_JOBS_PER_OWNER
     This integer value limits the number of scheduler universe jobs
that any given owner (user) can have running at one time. This limit
will affect the number of running Dagman jobs, but not the number of
nodes within a DAG. The default value is 200

MAX_JOBS_PER_SUBMISSION
     This integer value limits the number of jobs any single submission
is permitted to add to a condor_schedd daemonâs queue. The whole
submission fails if the number of jobs would exceed this limit. The
default value is 20000.
     This configuration variable may be useful for catching user error,
and for protecting a busy condor_schedd daemon from the excessively
lengthy interruption required to accept a very large number of jobs at
one time.

--
Todd Tannenbaum <tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx> University of Wisconsin-Madison
Center for High Throughput Computing   Department of Computer Sciences