Re: [HTCondor-users] Odd behaviour between pools?

IMO Dropping the -a is better.  This puts the qnum=20 statement at the *top* of your submit file
so it can be referenced by *if* and *include* statements.
While  -append puts qnum=20 it at the bottom, just before the queue statement.

It's that 'just before' that's the issue here.  The submit parser doesn't *know* its gotten to the queue statement
until it reads it, so there was a bug for a while in the 8.3 series where the $() expansion of the QUEUE statement
happened before -append arguments were applied.

I would recommend that you get in the habit of using -append only if you are using such an old condor_submit that you don't have a choice,
or when you need to override a statement in the submit file that has not been prepared to be overwritten.

What I do with my submit files these days is to leave the queue statement off entirely, and then supply -queue as a command line argument

condor_submit my.sub -q 1

In support of this pattern, I have considered changing condor_submit so that it does not require a queue statement.
Instead it would treat any submit file without a queue statement as having an implicit queue 1 at the end.

I would be interested in feedback from the community on this idea.

-tj