[HTCondor-users] Getting HTCondor to make space for multi-host parallel jobs.

Does anybody have any experience with running multi-host parallel jobs on an already full HTCondor cluster, and getting HTCondor to automatically preempt or drain the number of nodes required to run the jobs? When users submit multi-host parallel jobs they will remain idle until I manually make space by draining nodes.

The cluster is already configured with ALLOW_PSLOT_PREEMPTION = True, but I don't think that is able to preempt jobs from multiple nodes. The HTCondor defrag daemon has been suggested, but I don't see how to configure it to drain the exact number of nodes to fit the parallel jobs, nor how to synchronise the node release so that all of they are made available at the same time. If they are not released together then the just get filled by small jobs again.

My current workaround is with a Python script that periodically checks for idle parallel jobs, drains the nodes required to run them, and then releases the nodes when they are all ready. However, I would prefer a native HTCondor solution if possible.

Many thanks,

Paul

--
Paul Hopkins