[HTCondor-users] hook_prepare_job JobAd not updating

Hey all,

I've been working on a HOOK_PREPARE_JOB script that will edit the job's RequestDisk and RequestMemory as it lands on a node. The general idea is that to try to prolong node ssd life I'm trying to have the node pick whether or not to run the job on the ssd or in /dev/shm based on the disk and memory requirements. If it is small enough it goes to shm while rewriting RequestMem and ssd if the job is big enough. This will allow the job submissions to use a single method of RequestDisk and RequestMemory and not worry about whether or not the job lands on ssd or shm.

The problem I'm having is that the python script is running and able to do what is necessary to shift where job's data is downloaded and runs, but they aren't modifying the JobAds. From what I understand on https://htcondor.readthedocs.io/en/latest/misc-concepts/hooks.html, it is as easy as printing to stdout a key and value. So in python i'm doing a `print('RequestMemory = {0}'.format(newmem))` where the newmem variable is an integer for what I'm trying to update it to. When I look at the job after it is running and the hook has executed with `condor_q -long` the JobAds never update. The memory request is also unchanged when I look at `condor_status node`.

Anyone have a thought on what I'm doing wrong here? I've tried different combinations of writing JobAds. print, sys.stdout.write, quoting differently, trying adding a JobAd instead of modifying.

"
Expected standard output from the hook

A set of attributes to insert or update into the job ad. For example, changing the Cmd attribute to a quoted string changes the executable to be run."

OS: CentOS 7
Condor version on submitter and startd: condor-8.8.15-1.el7.x86_6

Thanks!
Kevin
--
Kevin Hrpcek