Re: [HTCondor-users] Machine allocation - unused machines

Hi Peter,

On 13.01.21 12:29, Peter Ellevseth wrote:
I have a question, perhaps mis-informed, but nonetheless. We run a small cluster (approx. 70 cores) for doing CFD and other small jobs. I see that when I submit a batch of jobs, condor will use one machine to full capacity, leaving the other machines in the cluster alone. Wouldn’t it be beneficial to spread the jobs out, with regard to use of memory etc? Is there perhaps some configuration I can set to enable this?

I think this should be the domain of NEGOTIATOR_DEPTH_FIRST[1] also briefly discussed in the wiki[2].

However, I wonder why the non-default depth first seems to be in effect at your pool.

Cheers

Carsten

[1] https://htcondor.readthedocs.io/en/latest/admin-manual/configuration-macros.html#NEGOTIATOR_DEPTH_FIRST

[2] https://htcondor-wiki.cs.wisc.edu/index.cgi/wiki?p=HowToFillPoolDepthFirst