[HTCondor-users] Output of condor_q after upgrade no longer grouped by batch

Had a working condor cluster running consistently stable since 2018. This week I upgraded submit host, scheduler host and compute hosts from condor-8.6.13-1.1.osg34 to condor-8.8.10-1.1.osg34.
Since then the output of condor_q is no longer grouped in batches, now one line for each job and an ID: job number in the column for BATCH NAME.  Is there no longer a default batch name based on executable name?   Am I missing something in the config?  I have preserved the existing previous configuration, based on /etc/condor/condor_config and have not converted it to USE: roles.

Thanks,
  -- ddj
Dave Johnson