Re: [HTCondor-users] Understanding working of PRIORITY_HALFLIFE

Hi

sorry, I skipped over your initial email :(

On 15.07.21 14:32, ervikrant06@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
    Gone through the following documentation. We are using one day value
    forÂPRIORITY_HALFLIFE. We are also capturing *`condor_userprio -all
    --allusers`* output on hourly basis. I see user priority decreasing
    every 1 hour. Maybe it's even more often. Was assuming maybe on a
    midnight basis this improvement will happen.

https://htcondor.readthedocs.io/en/latest/admin-manual/user-priorities-negotiation.html?highlight=PRIORITY_HALFLIFE#priority-calculation

shows what priority half life means. It is basically governing the "damping factor" beta which says how long previously used resources should be "remembered" for recalculating the current effective user priority (loosely speaking).

Setting it (h) to a very large value means beta will be close to one and only historic usage will be considered (the second term is ignored).

Setting it to a very small value means beta will be close to zero and thus the "past" does not matter anymore and only the current usage will influence the current priorities.

Does that make sense?

Cheers

Carsten

PS: Anyone, please correct me, if I messed up the explanation!
--
Dr. Carsten Aulbert, Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics,
CallinstraÃe 38, 30167 Hannover, Germany, Phone +49 511 762 17185