[HTCondor-users] Machine activity for partitionable slots

Hey all,

I'm currently working on a tool that automatically turns on machines when their resources are requested via idle jobs in the condor queue, and turns these machines off again when they have been idle for longer than an hour. This is done to reduce power consumption, as our GPU machines consume a lot of power when idle.

I'm currently having difficulty determining the idle time of a machine with a whole-machine partitionable slot. The "Activity" and "EnteredCurrentActivity" ClassAd attributes update for the dynamic slots created, but not for the parent. Once the dynamic slots finish and disappear, the parent slot reports a long idle time, even if a child slot recently existed. Is there a way to determine how long a whole machine or partitionable slot has been (truly) idle?

Thanks for the help,

Niels