From: HTCondor-users <htcondor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of templon@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2021 2:55 PM
To: Todd Tannenbaum <tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: HTCondor-Users Mail List <htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [External] Re: [HTCondor-users] How to set a worker node offline in HTCondor

Hi,
May be obvious to everybody else, but just in case (because it was not to us): my question was:
In Torque, if I donât want a worker node to accept any new jobs, I issue this command:
|pbsnodes -o wn-lot-099.nikhef.nl <http://wn-lot-099.nikhef.nl> |
|-o| is for âofflineâ.
What is the corresponding simplest way to achieve exactly this in HTCondor?
Note the word âexactlyâ :)
The answer was the condor_drain command, but it does not achieve exactly this, without a bit more. condor_drain also evicts running jobs from slots, depending on what the value of MaxJobRetirementTime is. I did not know about this variable so we did not have it set, and aside from nodes not accepting new jobs (the question), they stopped running the already-running jobs - not the desired behavior.
Sure, after we âundrainedâ it re-started the jobs, but we lost the (in some cases weeks) that they had already been running.
A tip for the next time somebody asks this question ;-)
JT