Re: [HTCondor-users] New HTCondor Version Scheme

Hi Steve,

The idea of stable versus development series was modeled on the Linux kernel development style which they abandoned in 2011.  So, to make the scheme a bit more recognizable, we are trying to adopt more up-to-date terminology -- and some ideas from https://semver.org/.

X.0.Y are now the "Long Term Support" releases and available through the stable release channel.  They are the equivalent to the old prod series and have similar support lifetime and guarantees.

Otherwise, N.M.0 (where M>=1) are just "releases" (no "dev" terminology), containing major new features, with support lifetime analogous to the old dev series.  What's new is the "PATCH" level which has very targeted patches on the feature release branch.  This allows us to make targeted releases (such as fixing a single, critical bug) without having to ingest all the other changes from master.  The other option considered was a 4-level release configuration (EPIC.MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH) which had a number of downsides.

So, to answer your question:

> On Sep 22, 2021, at 5:06 PM, Steven C Timm <timm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> What about the previous convention that the even MINOR number is a prod series and
> the odd MINOR number is a DEV series\, i.e. 9.0.x is a prod series now and 9.1.x is a dev series now.
> Will that continue?

No

> Or is 9.m.n where m>=1 all DEV series now?

Yes

Hope this helps,

Brian