Re: [HTCondor-users] Understand the working of condor_shared_port

After reading documentation [1] it's clear that we are using the
condor_shared_port daemon to optimize TCP connections established by condor
jobs.

All that the shared port daemon is does is reduce the number of ports which must be open in the firewall. The number of TCP connections is unchanged.

I started a batch of 20 jobs but I still see condor_shadow processes
establishing TCP connection with remote nodes.

This is as expected. The only thing shared port does is make sure that all of the destination ports are the same. To be clear: the shared port daemon does NOT multiplex TCP streams. Each connection still requires an ephemeral port.

- ToddM