Re: [condor-users] Missing condor_halt [should be condor_hold]

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 12:47:36PM +0100, Sandy Spence wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't want to stop the current job/s I just want to prevent any more
> being submitted.

That's not quite what condor_hold does.

In condor, "submit" means to add more jobs to the queue of the Condor
schedd. Jobs in the queue may be Idle, Running, or on Hold (there are also
two more states, Completed and removed (indicated by 'X') that are
temporary states and disappear from condor_q output in short order)

Jobs that are Idle can move to Running, and we use the terms "running" and
"executing" interchangeably. To prevent Idle jobs from running, you can
put them on Hold. (And putting a Running job on Hold will cause it to
stop Running and go to Hold. When it's released, it will return to Idle)

There's currently no way to force the schedd to put every new job on
Hold when it is submitted.

To answer your original question, if you're missing condor_hold, you can
copy condor_rm to condor_hold and run that - condor_rm, hold, and release
are actually all the same binaries, and look at argv[0] to decide what
they should do. (I'm nearly 100% sure that the condor_rm in 6.4.1 knows
how to put a job on hold, but you might want to submit a test job first,
just to make sure :)

-Erik