Re: [condor-users] Questions about resource allocation and user priorites...

> Michael S. Root wrote:
>
> >The thing is, the individual jobs that make up each dag usually only take
> >between 1 and 20 minutes each, but there can be several hundred jobs per
> >dag.  Why don't the second user's jobs acquire resources as the first
> >user's dag's individual "sub-jobs" finish, which they do fairly often?
>
> Currently, there is no way to tell Condor you want preemption of
> resource claims to be considered between job boundaries.  However, you
> _can_ set PREEMPTION_REQUIREMENTS to allow preemption during the first
> few minutes of a job's life, instead of the default expression which is
> to allow preemption after the claim has existed for one hour:

When a job completes, the machine returns to the Claimed/Idle state, where
the START expression is checked before a new job for the user is started.

So I add the following to my START expression:

START = $(START) && ( State != "Claimed" || $(StateTimer) < 30 * $(MINUTE) )

If the machine has been in the Claimed state for more than half an hour (a
sign that at least one job has been run for the user), this evaluates to
False and the Machine is returned to the Unclaimed state, where it can be
matched to any user.

Condor Support Information: