[condor-users] Some questions concerning security in Condor

Hi Chaps,

In order to win over our computing services guys and get them to consider putting Condor on campus-wide facilities, I'd be grateful if anyone can answer some of the questions that have been raised, and detailed below. I'd like say that by fielding these questions we are in no way implying any sort of slur on any aspects of Condor, but I have been warned that some people/organizations can feel slighted at having the security of their products questioned. We mean no such offence.

1) Does Condor support TCP_wrappers?

2) Has anyone done a security assesment/audit of Condor? If so, can we see the results?

3) Section 3.7.4.1, "GSI Authentication" in the Condor v6.6 manual implies that the distinguished name of certificates for the Condor daemons should be of the form:

/C=?/O=?/O=?/OU=?/CN=<daemon_name@domain>

which is not of the same form as the distinguised name of certificates issued by the UK e-Science CA. So, is it the case that the distinguised name of certificates for the Condor daemons has to be of the form given above, or is this just an example? For comparison, the UK e-Science CA issues user certificates with distinguished names of the form:

/C=UK/O=eScience/OU=?/L=?/CN=<name of user>

host/server certificates with distinguished names of the form:

/C=UK/O=eScience/OU=?/L=?/CN=<hostname>/Email=<some_name@domain>

and service certificates with distinguished names of the form:

/C=UK/O=eScience/OU=?/L=?/CN=<service>/<hostname>/Email=<some_name@domain>

Thanks for any help,

Mark

--
Department of Earth Sciences, University of Cambridge
Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EQ, UK