Re: [HTCondor-users] Managing an HTCondor pool via on-prem OpenStack

Hi Matt,

We (http://heprc.phys.uvic.ca/) are using this since a long time, using local clouds as well as global ones in a combined system. What we are using is cloudscheduler (some links about it below), which looks to HTCondor jobs and then starts on demand VMs that are utilized as HTCondor worker nodes with the resources the job needs (by default, but can also be any other kind of flavors be used, e.g. always an 8-core VM even for single core jobs). Cloudscheduler comes already with a HTcondor install on the same machine (you only need to configure it depending on your special needs, e.g. security settings or similar) and can run on a VM.

We currently run it for different projects, each using cores on multiple clouds from a few hundred up to 10,000 (no limitation in cloudscheduler, we simply do not have access to more resources ;-) )

Some links that may be of interest:

technical paper on cloudscheduler https://link.springer.com/epdf/10.1007/s41781-020-0036-1
(some parts no longer relevant due to improvements since then, but gives a good idea what it is)

latest presentation on how to use cloudscheduler: https://indico.cern.ch/event/1222948/contributions/5321031/

github code repository: https://github.com/hep-gc/cloudscheduler
github ansible playbooks: https://github.com/hep-gc/uvic-heprc-ansible-playbooks/blob/master/roles/csv2/README.md

Hope it helps! Let me know if you have ay questions about it.

Cheers,
 Marcus