[HTCondor-users] Windows dedicated run account profile corrupted

Hello,

We operate an HTCondor cluster under Windows utilizing the "load_profile = True" submit configuration macro and rely on the dedicated run accounts provisioned by the condor_startd running as Windows SYSTEM user.  Compute nodes running startd are a mix of Windows 8 and 10 running HTCondor 8.8.10, and are configured with static slot definitions.

Our IT manager recently noted that the dedicated run account profile cleanup which normally happens during job shutdown has been disrupted at some point in time on a number of these nodes, evidenced by:
  • profile folder in C:\Users (i.e. C:\Users\condor-slot1) is not deleted and appears corrupted.  Windows behavior kicks in next time the startd tries to create the dedicated run account, generating C:\Users\condor-slot1.hostname as a fallback
  • registry hive for the user condor-slot1 is not deleted
I've checked the StarterLog for a number of the slots, most show success to load the registry hive even when the issue described above is observed for that slot.  There were some which did report failure loading the registry hive in the Starter log.

I've done some research on the open web and haven't identified any hints where to look thus far.  I would appreciate if any one on the mailing list has suggestions where to start with log investigation or configuration setting.  We run the cluster for LAN use only behind our firewall, so have not seen a significant motivation to upgrade into the 9.x or 10.x releases.  If this were a known issue with older versions it would be a reasonable motivation to take the upgrade plunge though.

Best Regards,
Mark