[HTCondor-users] condor_status returns nothing

I installed the minicondor using the install-linux-as-root directions:

curl -fsSL https://get.htcondor.org | sudo /bin/bash -s -- --no-dry-run

but condor_status returns nothing so something isnât right.  condor_q works as illustrated.

-condor_master-+-condor_collecto
        |               |-condor_negotiat
        |               |-condor_procd
        |               |-condor_schedd
        |               `-condor_shared_p

Should there be a startd running?  How do I troubleshoot this installation?

I ultimately need to build a small pool with 1 submit/central manager and 10 execute nodes but thought I should start at the simplest  setupâ

Thanks,
JK