Re: [classad-users] ClassAd Transform?

Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:46:24 -0500 (CDT)
From: Matthew Farrellee <matt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [classad-users] ClassAd Transform?
Well, this was kind of a little side project for the SOAP interface. To
submit a job to the SOAP interface the client has to build a ClassAd
that represents the job. This would usually be a pretty trivial
operation, but Condor has a few things to say about it in the form of
all sorts of default attributes that are required for things like
condor_q to work properly. So, to combat this annoyance we introduced a
CreateJobTemplate() call, which was very specialize and ugly. It would
take a few things like Cmd/User and make a Job Ad the client could then
submit. The template service is just a generalization of the
CreateJobTemplate() that allows for multiple kinds of templates that
could even be application specific, i.e. a template for a BLAST job
might not need a Cmd since the template knows where blast is installed
in the pool. The need for a more powerful template, i.e. one that can
do some of the things I described in my original message, are needed
for things like DAGMan jobs, which require the Env attribute be setup
properly. Anyway, I'm sure that is more than you wanted to know. 8o)

matt