Re: [DynInst_API:] Runtime Relocation Mechanism

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 11:08:41 -0500
From: Bill Williams <bill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DynInst_API:] Runtime Relocation Mechanism
On 07/11/2014 08:24 PM, Buddhika Chamith Kahawitage Don wrote:
Hi All,

Feel free redirect me to the correct place if this query is not relevant
to this particular list. I understand that DynInst uses a runtime code
relocation mechanism for inserting instrumentation. I am interested in
knowing specifics of how this is being handled specially with non
position independent code (e.g: program text).

Are there any documentation related to this which may be useful for
understanding this mechanism?

There's actually several papers covering the evolution of our relocation system, and those are probably the best documentation of the approach we use.

http://www.paradyn.org/html/publications-by-year.html

I'd highlight Bernat and Miller, 2011, "Anywhere, Any Time Binary Instrumentation" as the best overview of our current approach; there's been incremental evolution since then but that covers our last radical redesign of the relocation system.

If you've got more specific questions after reading that, this list is a perfectly fine venue for those, but there's not a ton of documentation per se, just institutional knowledge and (sometimes) comments in the code.

Regards
Bud