Re: [DynInst_API:] SymtabAPI - dataUnknownType

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 11:11:59 -0600
From: Bill Williams <bill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DynInst_API:] SymtabAPI - dataUnknownType
On 12/09/2014 04:57 AM, Fabian Mager wrote:
Hello everyone,

I inspect function parameters and need to determine their sizes. This
works quite well so far but currently I work with libpng and have some
problems.

     typedef struct png_struct_def png_struct;
     typedef const png_struct * restrict png_const_structrp;
     png_get_header_ver(png_const_structrp png_ptr) {...}

When inspecting the function parameter png_ptr, I expect to get the size
of a pointer but instead it is 0. The dataClass is 9 which means that
png_ptr is a typeTypedef. The size of such a type is derived from its
baseType which I can get via getConstituentType() I assume. The baseType
in this scenario has dataClass 11 which means dataUnknownType and hence
size 0. The question is, how do I get the size of my parameter?

What version of Dyninst is this? I know we've fixed quite a few type size computation problems in 8.2.1, but if this is with that version we obviously haven't gotten all of them...

Thanks,
Fabian