[Gems-users] Variable Latency DRAM memory system

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:36:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: "David T. Wang" <davewang@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Variable Latency DRAM memory system
Hi,

I just subscribed to the user list, but I am trying to follow up on Nazanin's post.

Basically, what Nazanin is asking for is if GEMS has the facility to support a callback function to allow the memory system to return a latency value at a later time, after the memory system simulation code has had time to wait around a bit, not at request time. We don't want to "call a function to find out what the latency is". To do that implies that the function has to return right away with the latency of the access. What we really want is the ability to issue a memory request into a buffer/queue, and then simulate the request through the memory subsystem hierarchy. If that request hits a bank conflict, a later request may be able to complete earlier, and re-ordering can occur in the memory system, but that re-ordering may have effects on the deferred/re-ordered request that occured semantically at an earlier time. We'd like to be able to simulate all those interactions, re-ordering policies and mechanisms.

What we need is to support a mechanism where a callback function can be used to tell the processor(s) that a memory reference has completed, not just an external function call to return latency value.

We're still stumbling around the GEMS code, looking at the slicc, but can't quite make heads or tails of it right now. Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

David