Re: [Gems-users] Cache Parameters

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:31:57 -0500 (CDT)
From: Luke Yen <lyen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Cache Parameters
  Hi Vince:

    Is there a reason for not using Ruby to simulate the cache hierarchy?

I have not been using Opal's cache hierarchy, but from the code I looked
at (cache.C, mshr.C) it appears that L1 I and D caches have 0 cycle hit
latencies, and on misses they incur some latency as determined by the
MSHR parameters.  Misses from the L1 I and D incur queueing delays as
determined by the L1_FILL_BUS_CYCLES (simulates waiting until the L1 to L2
bus is available), and misses from the L2 incur L2_FILL_BUS_CYCLES
(simulating L2 to main memory bus latency) in the queue.  Access latencies
to both the L2 and main memory is determined by L2_LATENCY and
MEMORY_DRAM_LATENCY.
   I am not sure what kind of system you want to simulate but changing the
FILL_CYCLES changes the latencies of the L1->L2 and L2->main memory buses.

  Luke