Re: [Gems-users] a few questions about ruby stats

Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 20:22:17 -0500
From: Alaa Alameldeen <alaa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] a few questions about ruby stats
In our simulations, we insert Simics magic calls at some points in a benchmark's source code to mark the benchmark's transactions. You can refer to the Simics user manual for documentation on Simics magic calls, and to our paper:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/multifacet/papers/computer03_simulation.pdf

for reference on why we use transactions.

So the first five lines below refer to statistics per transaction. If you do not insert transaction magic breaks, they will all be zero.

As for user vs. supervisor, "supervisor misses" are those caused by operating system code, while "user misses" are those caused by user code.

-Alaa

yilmazer@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello,
I have a few questions about ruby statistics. If you can help me with my
questions, I will very appreciate it.
First, When I run simulations the statistics below are always zero. What does it
mean?
transactions_started: 0 [ 0 0 0 0 ]
transactions_ended: 0 [ 0 0 0 0 ]
instructions_per_transaction: 0 [ 0 0 0 0 ]
cycles_per_transaction: 0 [ 0 0 0 0 ]
misses_per_transaction: 0 [ 0 0 0 0 ]
And, there are some statistics like,
user_misses: 5877 [ 555 260 5062 0 ]
supervisor_misses: 106678 [ 19768 54596 21933 10381 ]
What does it actually mean user/supervisor?

Thanks a lot.